Monday, September 27, 2010

Banned Books Week

It is banned books week so I decided that I would read the Top Ten banned/ challenged books. Well there is no problem there as I have already read 7 of them. Well 10 if you count the whole Twilight series which by the way is #5. The Twilight series has been challenged for "religious viewpoint, sexually explicit and unsuited to age group". Really sexually explicit. There is more sexual innuendo in one episode of House than there is in all four Twilight books. Number 4 on the list is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Ok I actually read this in seventh grade. I know that I am an advanced reader but again compared to TV this book is nothing. Apparently it has been challenged for "offensive language, racism and unsuited to age group". After looking at the list they all say unsuited to age group, so re-evaluate them and give them a different age group rating. Is that so hard? It still would not stop me from buying the books for someone (with parents permission of course) I feel would understand the complexity of the classics. Here is a list of the top ten. I have highlighted the one I have read in Red.
1. ttyl; ttfn; l8r, g8r (series), by Lauren Myracle- Honestly thought the books were not that great so I didnt continue with the series.
Reasons: drugs, nudity, offensive language, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
2. And Tango Makes Three, by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson - I really don't understand what the big deal is homosexuality is here. Deal with it. This book explains being a child of gay parents very well.
Reasons: homosexuality
3. The Perks of Being A Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky
Reasons: anti-family, drugs, homosexuality, offensive language, religious viewpoint, sexually explicit, suicide, unsuited to age group
4. To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee -A southern classic about a black man who is charged with raping a whit woman and the white lawyer who fights for his freedom. Now I can understand that in the 50's this was a big issue but know I see the issue on the front page of the TV.
Reasons: offensive language, racism, unsuited to age group
5. Twilight (series) by Stephenie Meyer - Hello hot guys with fur and fangs... Enough said
Reasons: religious viewpoint, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
6. Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger teh tale of a boy who rebels and ends up in the psychiatrists office at 16. Hello has anyone been to the psychiatrist lately... the office is filled with kids and teens.
Reasons: offensive language, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
7. My Sister’s Keeper, by Jodi Picoult This was an excellent book dealing with parents having one child to save another. I thought the book was excellent.
Reasons: homosexuality, offensive language, religious viewpoint, sexism, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group, violence
8. The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things, by Carolyn Mackler
Reasons: offensive language, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
9. The Color Purple, by Alice Walker - This book is pretty deep and deals with rape and assault.I dont know what the rating is on this book but the angst and darkness should be rated at least 18.
Reasons: offensive language, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
10. The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier
Reasons: nudity, offensive language, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

All in all I only have three books to read this week and now I actually have to buy them. I hope you found my little rant helpful.
K

No comments:

Post a Comment